List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris W Date:January 29 2010 7:57pm
Subject:Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQL
View as plain text
fsb wrote:
> as a relatively unsophisticated dbms user (just dynamic web site back end),
> i thought it was very interesting to see the kinds of things oracle users do
> that i'd never have imagined.
>
> more than 61 joins in a query?! man, those guys are hardcore.

Hardcore stupid if you ask me.  I suppose it is "possible" to have a
valid reason (can't imagine what it might be) for using more than 61
joins.  But I would be willing to bet that 99.99% of the time if you get
even close to that many joins you have a very poorly designed database.
I would also bet that 80% of the people who are actually writing queries
with that many joins don't have a solid grasp of the fundamental
principles of relational database design.

Chris W
Thread
50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLchanguno 28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohan De Meersman28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLShawn Green28 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLpaul rivers28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohn Meyer28 Jan
    • RE: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLDaevid Vincent28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLCarl28 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohnny Withers29 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLfsb29 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLChris W29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLmos29 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLTom Worster1 Feb
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLCarl1 Feb
            • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMichael Dykman1 Feb
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLRudy Lippan30 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLShawn Green30 Jan
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLRudy Lippan31 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert30 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJørn Dahl-Stamnes29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert30 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert1 Feb
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohn G. Heim29 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies29 Jan