List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:January 29 2010 3:32pm
Subject:Re: Good source for sample data?
View as plain text
>> I need a few million sample contact records - name, company, address,
>> email, web, phone, fax. ZIP codes and area codes and street addresses
>> should be correct and properly formatted, but preferably not real people
>> or companies or email addresses. But they'd work if you did address
>> validation or mapping. Anyone have a suggestion?
>>
>> - Brian
>
> It should be easy to code a routine to generate random data.  Maybe 20 -
> 30 lines of code.  Obviously you may have a name like Dgidfgq Xcvbop and
> company Wsdkn, but it shouldn't matter if testing is your purpose.

Actually, this DOES matter...

Test data can be required for all sorts of purposes, for example:

- running a demo of the application
- testing real life-like data entry
- trial versions that include data
- course-ware for your application when it gets implemented by a company
- decent value distribution in indices

This is why our tool, Advanced Data Generator, allows you to
generate life-like company names, has libraries for first/last names
and much more.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Database questions? Check the forum:
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
Good source for sample data?Brian Dunning29 Jan
  • Re: Good source for sample data?Shawn McKenzie29 Jan
    • RE: Good source for sample data?Jerry Schwartz29 Jan
  • Re: Good source for sample data?John Meyer29 Jan
  • Re: Good source for sample data?Nathan Rixham29 Jan
  • Re: Good source for sample data?Carlos Proal29 Jan
    • Re: Good source for sample data?John Meyer29 Jan
      • Re: Good source for sample data?Mark Goodge29 Jan
        • RE: Good source for sample data?Jerry Schwartz29 Jan
          • Re: Good source for sample data?Mark Goodge29 Jan
            • RE: Good source for sample data?Jerry Schwartz29 Jan
  • Re: Good source for sample data?Martijn Tonies29 Jan
  • Re: Good source for sample data?Martijn Tonies29 Jan
  • Re: [PHP] Good source for sample data?Brian Dunning30 Jan
    • Re: [PHP] Good source for sample data?tedd30 Jan