List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Goodge Date:January 29 2010 3:31pm
Subject:Re: Good source for sample data?
View as plain text
On 29/01/2010 15:20, Jerry Schwartz wrote:

>> That's brilliant. The only minor issue is that, at least for UK data, it
>> won't validate for mapping purposes - the postcodes are syntactically
>> correct, but non-existent. I don't know if it would have the same
>> problem for US or Canadian data.
>>
> [JS] Sorry, my suggestion won't work either: I didn't notice that you are from
> the UK.
>
> Well, the name part will work; and perhaps the UK has databases similar to
> what the USPS (US Postal Service) makes available. I'd think they would, since
> they are accountable to the public.

You might think so; you'd be wrong! In the UK, postcode data - even a
comprehensive list of allocated postcodes - is the copyright of Royal
Mail and only available under license.

(Off-topic, but relevant to UK-based developers: please take a look at
my blog at http://mark.goodge.co.uk/musings/422/locate-that-postcode/
for a topical twist on this)

Mark
Thread
Good source for sample data?Brian Dunning29 Jan
  • Re: Good source for sample data?Shawn McKenzie29 Jan
    • RE: Good source for sample data?Jerry Schwartz29 Jan
  • Re: Good source for sample data?John Meyer29 Jan
  • Re: Good source for sample data?Nathan Rixham29 Jan
  • Re: Good source for sample data?Carlos Proal29 Jan
    • Re: Good source for sample data?John Meyer29 Jan
      • Re: Good source for sample data?Mark Goodge29 Jan
        • RE: Good source for sample data?Jerry Schwartz29 Jan
          • Re: Good source for sample data?Mark Goodge29 Jan
            • RE: Good source for sample data?Jerry Schwartz29 Jan
  • Re: Good source for sample data?Martijn Tonies29 Jan
  • Re: Good source for sample data?Martijn Tonies29 Jan
  • Re: [PHP] Good source for sample data?Brian Dunning30 Jan
    • Re: [PHP] Good source for sample data?tedd30 Jan