List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:January 29 2010 3:29pm
Subject:Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQL
View as plain text
>25. Each table can have a different storage backend (”storage engine”).
>
>Yes, we absolutely allow this.
>
>Each engine brings a certain strength to the storage and retrieval
>solutions you can create with MySQL. We explicitly recognize that there is
>no "one size fits all" approach that meets the needs of every problem. This
>also allows for special-purpose solutions to be integrated into MySQL:
>http://solutions.mysql.com/solutions/?type=29

Actually, this is one thing that annoys me too, or actually, that not
everything is supported in every storage engine. You get, for example,
full text indices, but no transactions. And so on.

>38. The number of joins per query is limited to 61.
>
>True, but why is this a problem? Do you frequently (or ever) need to join
>more than 61 tables into the same query? If you do, I propose that you need
>to revisit your schema design choices or review how you write your queries.
>In this case, I think we are discouraging bad practices.

Bad practices? So, if you have too many joins, your schema design
is wrong? This is just silly... if your data is split over different tables
it's usually because it's normalized, and especially for more complex
applications this is a "pro", not a "con".

>49. There are no sequences.
>
>Please explain why auto_increment cannot meet this same need? Why have the
>overhead of two ways of performing essentially the same function? This is
>just one less way to confuse your design.

Sequences are way easier to use in multi-table inserts.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Database questions? Check the forum:
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLchanguno 28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohan De Meersman28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLShawn Green28 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLpaul rivers28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohn Meyer28 Jan
    • RE: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLDaevid Vincent28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLCarl28 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohnny Withers29 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLfsb29 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLChris W29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLmos29 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLTom Worster1 Feb
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLCarl1 Feb
            • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMichael Dykman1 Feb
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLRudy Lippan30 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLShawn Green30 Jan
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLRudy Lippan31 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert30 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJørn Dahl-Stamnes29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert30 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert1 Feb
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohn G. Heim29 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies29 Jan