List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:December 23 1999 5:17pm
Subject:Re: When run as non-root mysqld crashes
View as plain text
At 11:08 AM -0600 1999-12-23, Ed Carp wrote:
>sinisa@stripped (sinisa@stripped) writes:
>
>>  Tony writes:
>>   > When i invoke safe_mysqld from a root shell my server does not
>>crash at all
>>   > but if i run it from the mysql account or my personal account it crashes
>
>This reminds me of the old saw about the guy who goes into the
>doctor's office and says "when I hold my arm up like this, it
>hurts!"  And the doc says, "well, then, don't hold your arm up like
>that!" ;)

One possible cause:

If you run safe_mysqld as root, the *.err file is created with root
ownership.  If you then run safe_mysqld as a non-root user, it can't
write to the *.err file and quits.  Just remove the file and try
again.

Obviously, to avoid a repeat of this problem, its best to always run
safe_mysqld as the same user.  I generally start it as root and
put a "user=xxx" line in /etc/my.cnf.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread