List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:paul rivers Date:January 28 2010 8:30pm
Subject:Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQL
View as plain text

Shawn Green wrote:
> 23. There are fewer and less sophisticated tools for administration.
>
> MySQL doesn't need them. That alone should tell you something about
> our reliability.

This speaks to simplicity-- both in terms of easy to use and in terms of
more limited features.  It says nothing about reliability.

> 45. Replication is asynchronous and has many limitations and edge
> cases. For example, it is single-threaded, so a powerful slave can
> find it hard to replicate fast enough to keep up with a less powerful
> master.
>
> Yes, it is asynchronous. This is a distinct advantage to many
> read-heavy  applications and it allows MySQL to scale out better than
> most, if not all, other RDBMS systems.
>
> http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/white-papers/mysql_wp_scaleout.php
> http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/scaleout/booking.html

There is a lot of truth to what the original poster says about MySQL
replication edge cases, including those involving data integrity/data
loss.   These edge cases are by design, since it is the binlogs
replicated, and not the particular storage engine's commit logs.

It's one thing to scale out well when we're talking about comments to
cat videos, as there is no harm done if my comment is lost or is slow to
replicate around.  It's another when we're talking financial transactions.

Thread
50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLchanguno 28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohan De Meersman28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLShawn Green28 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLpaul rivers28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohn Meyer28 Jan
    • RE: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLDaevid Vincent28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLCarl28 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohnny Withers29 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLfsb29 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLChris W29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLmos29 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLTom Worster1 Feb
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLCarl1 Feb
            • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMichael Dykman1 Feb
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLRudy Lippan30 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLShawn Green30 Jan
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLRudy Lippan31 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert30 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJørn Dahl-Stamnes29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert30 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert1 Feb
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohn G. Heim29 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies29 Jan