List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jerry Schwartz Date:January 28 2010 3:19pm
Subject:WAMP vs LAMP
View as plain text

From: vegivamp@stripped [mailto:vegivamp@stripped] On Behalf Of Johan De Meersman
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 12:18 PM
To: Jerry Schwartz
Cc: Shawn.Green@stripped; Daevid Vincent; Dan Nelson; mysql@stripped
Subject: Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Jerry Schwartz <jschwartz@stripped> wrote:

[JS] I second this. Instead of using a LAMP development environment, I went
with WAMP -- even though our production environment was LAMP.

Generally a bad idea - you keep running into annoying minor differences between the
systems. File paths, for example :-)

[JS] The file paths were all the same, actually, and the address for MySQL is just
“localhost”.

I’ve only run into one incompatibility, and that one bit me yesterday: On Windows,
the PHP rand() function has a native range of 1 – 32767. I replaced that with a
call to mt_rand(), and all’s right with the world. (Why are we using random
numbers? It would take a psychiatric evaluation of my predecessor to determine that.)

It was a lot easier than setting up LAMP in a virtual machine.

I'll set up up in under an hour, if you want :-)

[JS] I’m sure you could. I actually did, before deciding that it wasn’t worth
it what with the port forwarding and all.

When we shut down our LAMP
site for cost reasons, I moved it to a WAMP environment that I bought off the

Wait. You shut down machines for cost reasons, and then go buy new ones ?

[JS] The one we shut down was externally hosted, and had customer-accessible information
on it. When management decided to consolidate our customer-accessible sites in Japan,
there was no reason to have our administrative stuff hosted externally.

shelf for $800. For that money I got 8GB of RAM, four cores, and a RAID
controller. Another $90 for a second drive, and I've got mirroring going.

Granted, it's a low-traffic site used for internal administration; but I think
this box could handle a lot more traffic than it does. It seems to be loafing
all of the time.

Oh, probably. Webserving isn't all that hard of a job, if the site is reasonably
well-designed. If you're implying that the LAMP setup you had earlier didn't perform
quite as well, though, I'll go out on a leg and say that it probably wasn't managed very
well.

[JS] It was fine.

It's a home/SOHO/gamer system, so it probably isn't as
physically robust as a "server" grade machine at twice the price; but if it
dies, I can be up and running on a newer, bigger, cheaper machine in little
more than the time it takes me to run to the nearest big-box store.

True. Me and my server grade machine, however, will not have had that downtime, because
I'll have been notified that a redundant component has failed, and will have replaced it
while the machine was running.

It's ultimately a matter of how much your uptime is worth to you, and keep in mind that on
a saturday evening you may not even find a new machine until monday morning, and then you
still have to start installing everything, not to mention find the latest backups of your
data.

Me, I'll go for the expensive server ones for my professional needs, thanks :-)

[JS] Since this is used internally by a relatively small number of people, the cost of
downtime is mostly my embarrassment. Our stores are open on Sundays. The ones who would
scream are the two in our Tokyo office who use it for a few minutes when they come in.
There’s nothing I can do about that.

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz

195 Farmington Ave.

Farmington, CT 06032

860.674.8796 / FAX: 860.674.8341

www.the-infoshop.com

--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn

Thread
Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Philipp Maske [Location Bretagne]24 Jan
  • RE: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Daevid Vincent26 Jan
    • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Dan Nelson26 Jan
      • RE: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Daevid Vincent26 Jan
        • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Shawn Green27 Jan
          • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Wagner Bianchi27 Jan
          • RE: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Jerry Schwartz27 Jan
            • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Johan De Meersman27 Jan
              • WAMP vs LAMPJerry Schwartz28 Jan
                • how to get the name of primary key ?曹凯1 Feb
                  • Re: how to get the name of primary key ?Thiyaghu CK1 Feb
                    • RE: how to get the name of primary key ?曹凯1 Feb
                  • Re: how to get the name of primary key ?Jesper Wisborg Krogh1 Feb
                    • RE: how to get the name of primary key ?曹凯1 Feb
                      • Re: how to get the name of primary key ?prabhat kumar1 Feb
        • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Johan De Meersman27 Jan
          • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Shawn Green27 Jan
            • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Dan Nelson27 Jan
              • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Johan De Meersman27 Jan
    • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Joerg Bruehe26 Jan
    • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Johan De Meersman26 Jan
Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Shawn Green26 Jan
RE: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37John Daisley 27 Jan
RE: WAMP vs LAMPJerry Schwartz29 Jan
  • Re: WAMP vs LAMPWagner Bianchi29 Jan
    • RE: WAMP vs LAMPJerry Schwartz1 Feb
  • Re: WAMP vs LAMPShawn Green1 Feb