List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:January 27 2010 5:17pm
Subject:Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37
View as plain text
On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Jerry Schwartz
<jschwartz@stripped>wrote:

> [JS] I second this. Instead of using a LAMP development environment, I went
> with WAMP -- even though our production environment was LAMP.

Generally a bad idea - you keep running into annoying minor differences
between the systems. File paths, for example :-)

> It was a lot easier than setting up LAMP in a virtual machine.

I'll set up up in under an hour, if you want :-)

> When we shut down our LAMP
> site for cost reasons, I moved it to a WAMP environment that I bought off
> the

Wait. You shut down machines for cost reasons, and then go buy new ones ?

> shelf for $800. For that money I got 8GB of RAM, four cores, and a RAID
> controller. Another $90 for a second drive, and I've got mirroring going.
>
> Granted, it's a low-traffic site used for internal administration; but I
> think
> this box could handle a lot more traffic than it does. It seems to be
> loafing
> all of the time.

Oh, probably. Webserving isn't all that hard of a job, if the site is
reasonably well-designed. If you're implying that the LAMP setup you had
earlier didn't perform quite as well, though, I'll go out on a leg and say
that it probably wasn't managed very well.

> It's a home/SOHO/gamer system, so it probably isn't as
> physically robust as a "server" grade machine at twice the price; but if it
> dies, I can be up and running on a newer, bigger, cheaper machine in little
> more than the time it takes me to run to the nearest big-box store.

True. Me and my server grade machine, however, will not have had that
downtime, because I'll have been notified that a redundant component has
failed, and will have replaced it while the machine was running.

It's ultimately a matter of how much your uptime is worth to you, and keep
in mind that on a saturday evening you may not even find a new machine until
monday morning, and then you still have to start installing everything, not
to mention find the latest backups of your data.

Me, I'll go for the expensive server ones for my professional needs, thanks
:-)

--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn

Thread
Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Philipp Maske [Location Bretagne]24 Jan
  • RE: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Daevid Vincent26 Jan
    • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Dan Nelson26 Jan
      • RE: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Daevid Vincent26 Jan
        • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Shawn Green27 Jan
          • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Wagner Bianchi27 Jan
          • RE: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Jerry Schwartz27 Jan
            • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Johan De Meersman27 Jan
              • WAMP vs LAMPJerry Schwartz28 Jan
                • how to get the name of primary key ?曹凯1 Feb
                  • Re: how to get the name of primary key ?Thiyaghu CK1 Feb
                    • RE: how to get the name of primary key ?曹凯1 Feb
                  • Re: how to get the name of primary key ?Jesper Wisborg Krogh1 Feb
                    • RE: how to get the name of primary key ?曹凯1 Feb
                      • Re: how to get the name of primary key ?prabhat kumar1 Feb
        • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Johan De Meersman27 Jan
          • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Shawn Green27 Jan
            • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Dan Nelson27 Jan
              • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Johan De Meersman27 Jan
    • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Joerg Bruehe26 Jan
    • Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Johan De Meersman26 Jan
Re: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37Shawn Green26 Jan
RE: Event feature already working in Server 5.1.37John Daisley 27 Jan
RE: WAMP vs LAMPJerry Schwartz29 Jan
  • Re: WAMP vs LAMPWagner Bianchi29 Jan
    • RE: WAMP vs LAMPJerry Schwartz1 Feb
  • Re: WAMP vs LAMPShawn Green1 Feb