List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jaime Crespo Rincón Date:January 25 2010 11:30pm
Subject:Re: optimization
View as plain text
2010/1/25 John G. Heim <jheim@stripped>:
> I have a server with 16Gb of RAM and a dual-core  2Ghz processor.  It is
> running the latest mysql-server from debian lenny (5.0.1). I have databases
> for drupal, moodle, spamassassin, horde3, and a small database for
> departmental stuff.
>
> The problem is that inserts/updates are sometimes very slow, on the order of
> a minute. I am hoping somebody can sspot something wrong in my config.
> Here's the optimization settings section (for your convenience). The whole
> my.cnf is reproduced below that:

Are your databases using MyISAM or InnoDB?

* If MyISAM, you could be suffering contention problems on writes
because of full table locks. No easy solution but engine change or
database sharding. Also key_buffer, (and the other buffers) coud be
too small for 16GB of RAM. Are you really using more thant 10% of it?
You could also disable other engines if unused.
* If InnoDB, you have not set innodb_buffer_pool_size nor log size.
You could increase the pool to >50% of ram available.

Those are very general suggestions. It depends a lot on your hardware
(slow storage?), other apps installed on the same machine or the load
of the server, among others.

There also exists a tool to get introduced into MySQL server variables
tuning:  Tuning primer -  https://launchpad.net/mysql-tuning-primer It
is also a very general tool, but it could be helpful for a starting
point.

Jaime Crespo
MySQL & Java Instructor
Warp Networks
<http://warp.es>
Thread
optimizationJohn G. Heim25 Jan
  • Re: optimizationJaime Crespo Rincón26 Jan
  • Re: optimizationJohn G. Heim26 Jan
    • Re: optimizationmos26 Jan
      • Re: optimizationKeith Murphy26 Jan
  • Re: optimizationJohn G. Heim26 Jan