List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Hassan Schroeder Date:January 23 2010 6:48pm
Subject:Re: Best way to synchronize two database schemas
View as plain text
>> What is the best way to synchronize the database schemas?  db_test has had
>> few indexes and constraints added to several tables and I need to generate a
>> MySQL script to apply these changes to db_prod.

Ruby on Rails comes with tools to dump and load db schemas;
it's trivial to create a skeleton app and point it at your DB if you
want to try it out.

Of course, Rails also uses what are called "migrations" to make
changes to existing DBs, which keeps you out of this problem in
the first place :-)

I haven't looked, but I wouldn't be surprised if other comparable
(i.e., Rails clone) platforms have similar features.

FWIW,
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@stripped
twitter: @hassan