List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:January 22 2010 9:06am
Subject:Re: Best way to synchronize two database schemas
View as plain text
Simple: prefix the change files with yyyymmddhhmm formatted timestamps, so
they sort correctly :-)

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 11:31 PM, Daevid Vincent <daevid@stripped> wrote:

> Exactly what Johan said.
>
> I keep structure like so:
>
> developer@mypse /var/www/dart2/UPDATES $ ll
> -rw-rw-rw- 1 developer developer 551097 2009-12-22 23:16
> airports_city_country.sql
> drwxrwxrwx 2 developer developer   4096 2010-01-21 04:51 CVS
> -rw-rw-rw- 1 developer developer   3063 2009-07-15 01:40 fix_airports.php
> -rw-r--r-- 1 developer developer  23414 2010-01-21 03:52
> ps_access_to_mysql.sql
> -rw-rw-rw- 1 developer developer  12259 2010-01-06 05:22 UPDATES.sql
>
> Any and all changes to DB schema are in the UPDATES/UPDATES.sql file and
> each are commented with the date of the change, who did it, and why. This
> file/dir is part of your repository, so as each developer checks out, they
> would run the appropriate part of the script as well. I've not yet found a
> good (and safe) way to automate this process.
>
> /* 2009-06-01 [dv] fix the privileges for various users as they were all
> whacked out
>  * http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/grant.html
>  */
> REVOKE ALL PRIVILEGES, GRANT OPTION FROM 'foo'@'10.10.10.%';
>
> If you're using Subversion, you may find my "Subversion Flagged Update"
> script helpful...
> http://daevid.com/content/examples/snippets.php
>
> I also can vouche for SQLYog. Aside from being the absolute BEST mySQL GUI
> I've ever used, it has a feature to create the schema differences between
> two live databases. I've used it before to get a DEV and PROD server in
> sync, so that I could then implement the above methodology.

Thread
Best way to synchronize two database schemasRandall Price21 Jan
  • Re: Best way to synchronize two database schemasJohan De Meersman21 Jan
    • RE: Best way to synchronize two database schemasDaevid Vincent21 Jan
      • Re: Best way to synchronize two database schemasJohan De Meersman22 Jan
        • RE: Best way to synchronize two database schemasDaevid Vincent22 Jan
          • Re: Best way to synchronize two database schemasJohnny Withers22 Jan
          • Re: Best way to synchronize two database schemasJohan De Meersman23 Jan
  • Re: Best way to synchronize two database schemasAlexander Kolesen23 Jan
  • Re: Best way to synchronize two database schemasfsb23 Jan
    • Re: Best way to synchronize two database schemasHassan Schroeder23 Jan
  • Re: Best way to synchronize two database schemasMartijn Tonies23 Jan