List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Carsten Pedersen Date:January 18 2010 9:57pm
Subject:Re: Record old passwords ?
View as plain text
Using multiple columns to hold essentially the same data is generally a
bad idea: Business requirements may change over time, forcing you to
change both the schema and your programming logic.

Better to use a table consisting of username/changedate/password. One
year from now, when  your boss/customer decides to up the requirement to
six passwords, it will be a simple app change.

/ Carsten

Tompkins Neil skrev:
> Hi
>
> I'm in the process of designing a login system to a secure web page using
> MySQL.  One of the features is we need to record and ensure that the user
> password is different from any of the last four passwords he/she has used.
>  I was thinking of create four fields called Password1, Password2, Password3
> and Password4 to record the old passwords.
>
> Is this a preferred method - or does anyone else have any recommendations ?
>
> Thanks,
> Neil
>

> !DSPAM:451,4b54a9e956471140923725!

Thread
Record old passwords ?Tompkins Neil18 Jan
  • Re: Record old passwords ?SH18 Jan
  • Re: Record old passwords ?Carsten Pedersen18 Jan
  • Re: Record old passwords ?Colin Streicher19 Jan
    • Re: Record old passwords ?John Meyer19 Jan
      • RE: Record old passwords ?Daevid Vincent20 Jan
        • Re: Record old passwords ?Jørn Dahl-Stamnes20 Jan
          • Re: Record old passwords ?Tompkins Neil22 Jan
            • Re: Record old passwords ?Suresh Kuna27 Jan
    • Re: Record old passwords ?Carlos Proal19 Jan
      • Re: Record old passwords ?Tompkins Neil19 Jan
        • Re: Record old passwords ?Tompkins Neil19 Jan
          • Re: Record old passwords ?Mark Goodge19 Jan
            • Re: Record old passwords ?John Meyer21 Jan
              • RE: Record old passwords ?Jerry Schwartz21 Jan
          • Re: Record old passwords ?Lucio Chiappetti21 Jan
            • Re: Record old passwords ?Mark Goodge21 Jan