List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:January 14 2010 3:44pm
Subject:Re: version
View as plain text
You *should* be using a package manager (perfectly fine RPMs available for
all your needs), but if you must do this, it's a reasonably safe bet to
right-align and zero-pad all your number to 4 digits, at which point you're
free to concatenate them and treat them as a single number. then becomes 0014 0012 0005 0000 0019 which becomes

You'd probably be safe with 3 or maaaaaaaybe even two positions, depending
on how many releases get done :-)

The better-but-more-work way is to compare every number separately, starting
with the major release.