List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Lawrence Sorrillo Date:January 13 2010 7:28pm
Subject:Re: upgrading mysql
View as plain text
The issue is that in theory this should work given the facts announced
by MySQL regarding binary logging and replication.
I can certainly do it the way you propose, but to my mind I should also
be able to do it using the fact that both machines are fully synced and
hence at
that point I should be able to to local respective dumps and restores
and still be in sync.

Anyone knows anything special about position 106? It seems to be the
very initial position in MySQL 5.1 servers?

mysql> show master status;
+-------------------+----------+--------------+------------------+
| File              | Position | Binlog_Do_DB | Binlog_Ignore_DB |
+-------------------+----------+--------------+------------------+
| XXXXX-bin.000001 |      106 |              |                  |
+-------------------+----------+--------------+------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

root@XXXX:/usr/local/mysql/data ] /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqlbinlog
mssdb2-bin.000001
/*!40019 SET @@session.max_insert_delayed_threads=0*/;
/*!50003 SET @OLD_COMPLETION_TYPE=@@COMPLETION_TYPE,COMPLETION_TYPE=0*/;
DELIMITER /*!*/;
# at 4
#100113 13:50:40 server id 5  end_log_pos 106   Start: binlog v 4,
server v 5.1.42-log created 100113 13:50:40 at startup
# Warning: this binlog is either in use or was not closed properly.
ROLLBACK/*!*/;
BINLOG '
ABZOSw8FAAAAZgAAAGoAAAABAAQANS4xLjQyLWxvZwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFk5LEzgNAAgAEgAEBAQEEgAAUwAEGggAAAAICAgC
'/*!*/;
DELIMITER ;
# End of log file
ROLLBACK /* added by mysqlbinlog */;
/*!50003 SET COMPLETION_TYPE=@OLD_COMPLETION_TYPE*/;
root@XXXX:/usr/local/mysql/data ]

~Lawrence

Tom Worster wrote:
> Frankly, I didn't entirely understand what you were proposing. I got lost
> around step 6.
>
> Is the issue total time for the procedure or service downtime?
>

> On 1/12/10 12:58 PM, "Lawrence Sorrillo" <sorrillo@stripped> wrote:
>

>> This is two upgrades done in sequence(the reload takes about three hours
>> per machine) . I can do what I am proposing in parallel.
>>
>> Do you see it as problematic?
>>
>> ~Lawrence
>>

>> Tom Worster wrote:
>>
>>> How about:
>>>
>>> 1 shut down the slave, upgrade it, restart it, let it catch up.
>>>
>>> 2 shut down the master, upgrade it, restart it, let the slave catch up.
>>>
>>> ?

Thread
upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo12 Jan
  • Re: upgrading mysqlTom Worster12 Jan
    • RE: upgrading mysqlJoshua Gordon12 Jan
    • Re: upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo12 Jan
      • Re: upgrading mysqlTom Worster12 Jan
        • Re: upgrading mysqlSuresh Kuna13 Jan
        • Re: upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo13 Jan
          • Re: upgrading mysqlfsb13 Jan
          • Re: upgrading mysqlPaul DuBois14 Jan
  • Re: upgrading mysqlShawn Green12 Jan
    • Re: upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo12 Jan
      • Re: upgrading mysqlPaul DuBois12 Jan
  • file per table performanceBryan Cantwell12 Jan
    • Re: file per table performanceJohnny Withers12 Jan