List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tom Worster Date:January 12 2010 10:28pm
Subject:Re: upgrading mysql
View as plain text
Frankly, I didn't entirely understand what you were proposing. I got lost
around step 6.

Is the issue total time for the procedure or service downtime?

On 1/12/10 12:58 PM, "Lawrence Sorrillo" <sorrillo@stripped> wrote:

> This is two upgrades done in sequence(the reload takes about three hours
> per machine) . I can do what I am proposing in parallel.
>
> Do you see it as problematic?
>
> ~Lawrence
>

> Tom Worster wrote:
>> How about:
>>
>> 1 shut down the slave, upgrade it, restart it, let it catch up.
>>
>> 2 shut down the master, upgrade it, restart it, let the slave catch up.
>>
>> ?
>>

>> On 1/12/10 12:34 PM, "Lawrence Sorrillo" <sorrillo@stripped> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> I want to upgrade a master and slave server from mysql 4.1 to mysql 5.1.
>>>
>>> I want to so something like follows:
>>>
>>> 1. Stop all write access to the master server.
>>> 2. Ensure that replication on the slave is caught up to the last change
>>> on the master.
>>> 3. stop binary logging on the master.
>>> 4. stop replication on the slave.
>>> 5. dump the master, stop old 4.1 server, start new 5.1 server and reload
>>> master dump file under 5.1 server ( binary logging is turned off)
>>> 6. dump the slave, stop old 4.1 server, start new 5.1 server and reload
>>> slave dump file under 5.1 server.
>>> 7. After loading is complete, test then start binary logging on master
>>> while still preventing updates to updates.
>>> 8. After loading slave, test then start slave (get configs in place and
>>> restart server).
>>>
>>> I am thinking that in this scenario I dont have to bother with recording
>>> binlog file names and position etc etc.
>>> That both servers will have the same databases abd replication and
>>> binary logging will start on the two databases with no data loss and
>>> continue forward.
>>>

>>> Comments?
>>>
>>> ~Lawrence

Thread
upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo12 Jan
  • Re: upgrading mysqlTom Worster12 Jan
    • RE: upgrading mysqlJoshua Gordon12 Jan
    • Re: upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo12 Jan
      • Re: upgrading mysqlTom Worster12 Jan
        • Re: upgrading mysqlSuresh Kuna13 Jan
        • Re: upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo13 Jan
          • Re: upgrading mysqlfsb13 Jan
          • Re: upgrading mysqlPaul DuBois14 Jan
  • Re: upgrading mysqlShawn Green12 Jan
    • Re: upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo12 Jan
      • Re: upgrading mysqlPaul DuBois12 Jan
  • file per table performanceBryan Cantwell12 Jan
    • Re: file per table performanceJohnny Withers12 Jan