List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Lawrence Sorrillo Date:January 12 2010 5:58pm
Subject:Re: upgrading mysql
View as plain text
This is two upgrades done in sequence(the reload takes about three hours
per machine) . I can do what I am proposing in parallel.

Do you see it as problematic?

~Lawrence

Tom Worster wrote:
> How about:
>
> 1 shut down the slave, upgrade it, restart it, let it catch up.
>
> 2 shut down the master, upgrade it, restart it, let the slave catch up.
>
> ?
>

> On 1/12/10 12:34 PM, "Lawrence Sorrillo" <sorrillo@stripped> wrote:
>

>> Hi:
>>
>> I want to upgrade a master and slave server from mysql 4.1 to mysql 5.1.
>>
>> I want to so something like follows:
>>
>> 1. Stop all write access to the master server.
>> 2. Ensure that replication on the slave is caught up to the last change
>> on the master.
>> 3. stop binary logging on the master.
>> 4. stop replication on the slave.
>> 5. dump the master, stop old 4.1 server, start new 5.1 server and reload
>> master dump file under 5.1 server ( binary logging is turned off)
>> 6. dump the slave, stop old 4.1 server, start new 5.1 server and reload
>> slave dump file under 5.1 server.
>> 7. After loading is complete, test then start binary logging on master
>> while still preventing updates to updates.
>> 8. After loading slave, test then start slave (get configs in place and
>> restart server).
>>
>> I am thinking that in this scenario I dont have to bother with recording
>> binlog file names and position etc etc.
>> That both servers will have the same databases abd replication and
>> binary logging will start on the two databases with no data loss and
>> continue forward.
>>

>> Comments?
>>
>> ~Lawrence

Thread
upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo12 Jan
  • Re: upgrading mysqlTom Worster12 Jan
    • RE: upgrading mysqlJoshua Gordon12 Jan
    • Re: upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo12 Jan
      • Re: upgrading mysqlTom Worster12 Jan
        • Re: upgrading mysqlSuresh Kuna13 Jan
        • Re: upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo13 Jan
          • Re: upgrading mysqlfsb13 Jan
          • Re: upgrading mysqlPaul DuBois14 Jan
  • Re: upgrading mysqlShawn Green12 Jan
    • Re: upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo12 Jan
      • Re: upgrading mysqlPaul DuBois12 Jan
  • file per table performanceBryan Cantwell12 Jan
    • Re: file per table performanceJohnny Withers12 Jan