List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tom Worster Date:January 12 2010 5:46pm
Subject:Re: upgrading mysql
View as plain text
How about:

1 shut down the slave, upgrade it, restart it, let it catch up.

2 shut down the master, upgrade it, restart it, let the slave catch up.

?

On 1/12/10 12:34 PM, "Lawrence Sorrillo" <sorrillo@stripped> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I want to upgrade a master and slave server from mysql 4.1 to mysql 5.1.
>
> I want to so something like follows:
>
> 1. Stop all write access to the master server.
> 2. Ensure that replication on the slave is caught up to the last change
> on the master.
> 3. stop binary logging on the master.
> 4. stop replication on the slave.
> 5. dump the master, stop old 4.1 server, start new 5.1 server and reload
> master dump file under 5.1 server ( binary logging is turned off)
> 6. dump the slave, stop old 4.1 server, start new 5.1 server and reload
> slave dump file under 5.1 server.
> 7. After loading is complete, test then start binary logging on master
> while still preventing updates to updates.
> 8. After loading slave, test then start slave (get configs in place and
> restart server).
>
> I am thinking that in this scenario I dont have to bother with recording
> binlog file names and position etc etc.
> That both servers will have the same databases abd replication and
> binary logging will start on the two databases with no data loss and
> continue forward.
>

> Comments?
>
> ~Lawrence

Thread
upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo12 Jan
  • Re: upgrading mysqlTom Worster12 Jan
    • RE: upgrading mysqlJoshua Gordon12 Jan
    • Re: upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo12 Jan
      • Re: upgrading mysqlTom Worster12 Jan
        • Re: upgrading mysqlSuresh Kuna13 Jan
        • Re: upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo13 Jan
          • Re: upgrading mysqlfsb13 Jan
          • Re: upgrading mysqlPaul DuBois14 Jan
  • Re: upgrading mysqlShawn Green12 Jan
    • Re: upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo12 Jan
      • Re: upgrading mysqlPaul DuBois12 Jan
  • file per table performanceBryan Cantwell12 Jan
    • Re: file per table performanceJohnny Withers12 Jan