List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Lawrence Sorrillo Date:January 12 2010 5:34pm
Subject:upgrading mysql
View as plain text
Hi:

I want to upgrade a master and slave server from mysql 4.1 to mysql 5.1.

I want to so something like follows:

1. Stop all write access to the master server.
2. Ensure that replication on the slave is caught up to the last change
on the master.
3. stop binary logging on the master.
4. stop replication on the slave.
5. dump the master, stop old 4.1 server, start new 5.1 server and reload
master dump file under 5.1 server ( binary logging is turned off)
6. dump the slave, stop old 4.1 server, start new 5.1 server and reload
slave dump file under 5.1 server.
7. After loading is complete, test then start binary logging on master
while still preventing updates to updates.
8. After loading slave, test then start slave (get configs in place and
restart server).

I am thinking that in this scenario I dont have to bother with recording
binlog file names and position etc etc.
That both servers will have the same databases abd replication and
binary logging will start on the two databases with no data loss and
continue forward.

Comments?

~Lawrence

Thread
upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo12 Jan
  • Re: upgrading mysqlTom Worster12 Jan
    • RE: upgrading mysqlJoshua Gordon12 Jan
    • Re: upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo12 Jan
      • Re: upgrading mysqlTom Worster12 Jan
        • Re: upgrading mysqlSuresh Kuna13 Jan
        • Re: upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo13 Jan
          • Re: upgrading mysqlfsb13 Jan
          • Re: upgrading mysqlPaul DuBois14 Jan
  • Re: upgrading mysqlShawn Green12 Jan
    • Re: upgrading mysqlLawrence Sorrillo12 Jan
      • Re: upgrading mysqlPaul DuBois12 Jan
  • file per table performanceBryan Cantwell12 Jan
    • Re: file per table performanceJohnny Withers12 Jan