List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:January 11 2010 8:21pm
Subject:Re: tmp tables
View as plain text
At 09:56 AM 1/11/2010, Johnny Withers wrote:
>Victor,
>
>The temporary table solution is not a good one. Use a single table and store
>each item put into a cart identified by the session ID of the user. A
>process should clean out this table periodically since there are "shoppers"
>that abandon carts from time to time.
>
>The design of this table could be quite simple:
>
>id - int auto_inc
>session_id - varchar
>added_dt - datetime
>item_id - int
>quantity - int
>
>You could get more complicated depending in your need an item requirements
>(colors, sizes, etc).
>
>-JW

I also agree with JW, a single table is better. Don't forget shoppers may
spend 30 minutes of more filling up their shopping cart and may lose the
connection to the site or have to exit without completing the order. You
need to retain the registered user's shopping cart so he can go back to it
later. Only delete it if there is no activity on it for 7-10 days.  If you
use temporary tables and throw out the shopping cart contents if the
session is lost, then you will *iss off a lot of customers.

Mike

>On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Victor Subervi
><victorsubervi@stripped>wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Baron Schwartz <baron@stripped> wrote:
> >
> > > Victor,

> necessary
> > > for
> > > create a
> > > *predict*
> > > database
> > >
> > > You fundamentally misunderstand relational database design.  I suggest
> > > reading this book:
> > >

> http://www.xaprb.com/blog/2009/08/22/a-review-of-beginning-database-design-by-clare-churcher/
> > >

> > LOL. Ok, I'll put it on my list. *In the meantime*, since I am reworking my
> > database design for the shopping cart I just finished building and need to
> > get this up __n_o_w__, what would your advice be?
> >

> > > Regards,
> > > Baron
> > >
> > > --
> > > Baron Schwartz
> > > Percona Inc: Services and Support for MySQL
> > > http://www.percona.com/
> > >

> > --
> > The Logos has come to bear
> > http://logos.13gems.com/