List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Victor Subervi Date:January 11 2010 2:40pm
Subject:Re: tmp tables
View as plain text
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Baron Schwartz <baron@stripped> wrote:

> Victor,
>
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Victor Subervi <victorsubervi@stripped>
> wrote:
> > Hi;
> > I have a shopping cart that will spawn a tmp table for every shopping
> cart
> > instance. Would it be better to create a separate database for these
> instead
> > of having them in the same database as all the other tables for the
> shopping
> > cart?
>
> It will not matter at all.  But it would be better to choose a
> different design.  Instead of adding a table per cart, just create a
> table and add a row(s) to it for every cart.  This is what relational
> databases were designed for :-)

That strikes me as messy. Each tmp table has as many rows as necessary for
the products that are to be bough. To do as you say I would have to create a
table with a zillion rows to accommodate however many products I *predict*
buyers would buy. Therefore, I guess I should probably create a new database
so as to not make a mess of the main database.
TIA,

tmp tablesVictor Subervi10 Jan
  • Re: tmp tablesBaron Schwartz11 Jan
    • Re: tmp tablesVictor Subervi11 Jan