List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gavin Towey Date:January 6 2010 7:51pm
Subject:RE: Binary Logging
View as plain text
Binary logs are pretty important for backups as well.  Most often people take a full
backup using mysqldump or filesystem snapshots, and then back up their binlogs.  With the
full backup + all the binlogs since then, you can recover to any point in time you choose.

If you're not currently running replication then you don't really need those binlogs.
Asking "will this be ok"  is more a matter for you to decide in terms of your backup
procedures.

Once you start using replication, you only need to keep binlogs around as long as it takes
your slaves to copy the data from the master; with a fast network that can be seconds.

You can also use FLUSH LOGS; to force mysql to start a new binlog file, then purge all
files before the most current one.

Regards,
Gavin Towey