List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Carsten Pedersen Date:December 29 2009 2:27pm
Subject:Re: Help keep the Internet free 6D7-36A
View as plain text
I would encourage everyone on this list to at least read the two articles

"Fox in the henhouse" (

"GPL is not the answer"

You may or may not agree with those, but at least then you'll have made
an educated decision whether to sign the petition or not.

(Disclaimer: I'm a former employee of MySQL AB/Inc, but left before
MySQL was bought up by Sun).

/ Carsten

> Michael Widenius skrev:
>> Hi!
>> We have just launched a worldwide, multilingual petition at
>> to get signatures to show the regulators in the
>> EU and other places that it's important that MySQL continues to be
>> available and developed as a strong Open Source product for all
>> database needs.
>> If you care about the future of MySQL as an Open Source product,
>> please go and sign the petition and tell others about it!
>> We are also searching for volunteers that can help us with gathering
>> names for the petition.  If you have a bit a spare time and think that
>> MySQL is worth saving, please join us on the #helpmysql IRC channel on
>> Freenode and help us with spreading the world and gather names!
>> You can make a real difference, wherever you are in the world! The
>> more names we are able to get, the higher the chance is that we can
>> keep MySQL free and available for all!
>> Don't be fooled by the empty promises Oracle have given about the
>> future of MySQL.  I examined them in my previous blog post at
>> r.html
>> and showed that Oracle is not really promising anything; Not even that
>> the Open Source version of MySQL will be developed further.
>> Thanks to everyone that helped us with the previous campaign. It was
>> of great help, but probably not enough, which is why we had to start
>> this new campaign to gather even more names.
>> This time we will be able to use the names to influence decisions
>> worldwide (not just in the EU) and we will get more public
>> attention. This will be far more powerful.
>> During the previous campaign there was a lot of discussions in
>> different medias about my incentives for driving it.
>> I have tried to answer most of these concerns in my latest blogpost:
>> Help us keep the Infrastructure of the Internet free!
>> Regards,
>> Monty
>> Creator of MySQL
Help keep the Internet freeMichael Widenius29 Dec
  • Re: Help keep the Internet freeCarsten Pedersen29 Dec
    • Re: Help keep the Internet free 6D7-36ACarsten Pedersen29 Dec
  • Re: Help keep the Internet freemos29 Dec
RE: Help keep the Internet freeWilly29 Dec