List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Carsten Pedersen Date:December 29 2009 2:27pm
Subject:Re: Help keep the Internet free 6D7-36A
View as plain text
I would encourage everyone on this list to at least read the two articles

"Fox in the henhouse" (http://helpmysql.org/en/theissue/foxinthehenhouse)

and

"GPL is not the answer"
(http://helpmysql.org/en/theissue/gplisnottheanswer)

You may or may not agree with those, but at least then you'll have made
an educated decision whether to sign the petition or not.

(Disclaimer: I'm a former employee of MySQL AB/Inc, but left before
MySQL was bought up by Sun).

/ Carsten

> Michael Widenius skrev:
>> Hi!
>>
>> We have just launched a worldwide, multilingual petition at
>> http://helpmysql.org to get signatures to show the regulators in the
>> EU and other places that it's important that MySQL continues to be
>> available and developed as a strong Open Source product for all
>> database needs.
>>
>> If you care about the future of MySQL as an Open Source product,
>> please go and sign the petition and tell others about it!
>>
>> We are also searching for volunteers that can help us with gathering
>> names for the petition.  If you have a bit a spare time and think that
>> MySQL is worth saving, please join us on the #helpmysql IRC channel on
>> Freenode and help us with spreading the world and gather names!
>>
>> You can make a real difference, wherever you are in the world! The
>> more names we are able to get, the higher the chance is that we can
>> keep MySQL free and available for all!
>>
>> Don't be fooled by the empty promises Oracle have given about the
>> future of MySQL.  I examined them in my previous blog post at
>> http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2009/12/oracle-gives-only-empty-promises-fo
>>
>> r.html
>> and showed that Oracle is not really promising anything; Not even that
>> the Open Source version of MySQL will be developed further.
>>
>> Thanks to everyone that helped us with the previous campaign. It was
>> of great help, but probably not enough, which is why we had to start
>> this new campaign to gather even more names.
>>
>> This time we will be able to use the names to influence decisions
>> worldwide (not just in the EU) and we will get more public
>> attention. This will be far more powerful.
>>
>> During the previous campaign there was a lot of discussions in
>> different medias about my incentives for driving it.
>>
>> I have tried to answer most of these concerns in my latest blogpost:
>> http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2009/12/help-keep-internet-free.html
>>
>> Help us keep the Infrastructure of the Internet free!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Monty
>> Creator of MySQL

Thread
Help keep the Internet freeMichael Widenius29 Dec
  • Re: Help keep the Internet freeCarsten Pedersen29 Dec
    • Re: Help keep the Internet free 6D7-36ACarsten Pedersen29 Dec
  • Re: Help keep the Internet freemos29 Dec
RE: Help keep the Internet freeWilly29 Dec