List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:December 28 2009 5:13pm
Subject:Re: Database fundamentals: wanna learn.
View as plain text

> Hey, all.  I've been using databases clear back to xBase days; that being
> said, I've never had a solid foundation for relational databases.  While I
> can muddle by in SQL, I really don't have a good understanding of exactly
> how keys are set up, the underpinnings of indexing, and, oh, lots of
> ground-level stuff.  Call me a "user", and you'd be right -- an
> administrator of databases?  Not so much.
>
> So, any suggestions -- books, courses, web sites, what-have-you -- that I
> should be hitting up so I can have a better grasp of what's going on
> behind the scenes?

I'd suggest you start learning about relational theory first, SQL later,
any specific DBMS after that (or together with SQL).

Indexing, for example, has nothing to do per-se with relational
databases ;-)

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Database questions? Check the forum:
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
Database fundamentals: wanna learn.Ken D'Ambrosio28 Dec
  • Re: Database fundamentals: wanna learn.Claudio Nanni28 Dec
    • Re: Database fundamentals: wanna learn.Mike OK28 Dec
  • Re: Database fundamentals: wanna learn.Peter Brawley28 Dec
  • Re: Database fundamentals: wanna learn.Martijn Tonies28 Dec
  • Re: Database fundamentals: wanna learn.Gary Smith28 Dec