List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Katz Date:December 18 2009 5:20pm
Subject:Re: Help Save MySQL
View as plain text
You wanna help MySQL?  Here's an idea - buy something.

Everyone wants great software for free but the paid conversion rates on
open source are a joke.  I know nothing of MySQL numbers for conversion
to paid versions but I would guess they are low.

Unfortunately the reality is that open source has become a business
model for billionaires as the community cuts it's own oxygen supply off
by not purchasing anything.  Mega billionaires like Google want
everything free because it stifles competition from small companies that
can't afford to compete on the no-fee playing field.  Other projects
like Mozilla were founded by rich dudes with an ax to grind.  There
probably aren't many successful ACTIVE open source projects now-a-days
with real, current impact that aren't supported by a mega rich guy,
foundation, school, country or company.  Certainly MySQL is hurting a
billionaire now so that can be pretty dangerous.

The only hope for MySQL is that a rich dude, country, school or company
appears that feels that MySQL will help change the world or put someone
else out of business.  Of course we could raise the paid conversion
rates and that would help as well but there is very scant evidence that
this is possible.
Sorry for the cynicism but it's just the truth.

Michael Katz

mos wrote:
> Instead of forming a group hug and singing kumbuya to save MySQL,  why
> don't we take some action to prevent Oracle from keeping
> (destroying/crippling) MySQL?
>
> Who are the regulatory bodies that will decide whether Oracle can keep
> MySQL? Both in Europe and North America? Asia?
> What are their email addresses?  They may not realize how destructive
> Oracle can be to the future of MySQL and the number of MySQL database
> installations this will affect.
>
> I think we should start a writing campaign  to the regulatory bodies to
> force (or encourage) them to have Oracle to sell or spin off MySQL to
> another party. What we need is ACTION.
>
> So if someone could provide us with the names of these regulatory
> parties and their email addresses, we can try to light a fire under them
> to put pressure on Oracle. A web page to SaveMySQL would also help get
> our message across.
>
> What do you think guys? Can someone provide us with the names and email
> addresses of the regulatory bodies, or would you rather I post the
> lyrics to kumbuya?
>
> Mike

Thread
Help Save MySQLJohn \(Burton\) Daisley17 Dec
  • RE: Help Save MySQLNeil Aggarwal17 Dec
    • Re: Help Save MySQLBruno B. B. Magalhaes17 Dec
      • Re: Help Save MySQLClaudio Nanni18 Dec
        • Re: Help Save MySQLmos18 Dec
          • Re: Help Save MySQLMichael Katz18 Dec
  • Re: Help Save MySQLMartijn Tonies17 Dec
    • Re: Help Save MySQLBruno B. B. Magalhaes17 Dec
  • Re: Help Save MySQLMartijn Tonies17 Dec
RE: Help Save MySQLJohn Daisley 17 Dec