List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John Daisley  Date:December 17 2009 6:58pm
Subject:RE: Help Save MySQL
View as plain text
Bruno,

I wasn't exactly joking when i suggested users put up an offer but the complexity of doing
so is huge.

I don't know what value Sun or Oracle would put on MySQL as it stands and there are lots
of issues not least those existing MySQL customers with contracts which need to be
honoured by any new owner.

Legal issues aside i would be up for the 'journey' but we'd need a lot of us or some deep
pockets or some backing maybe from one of the big corporate users (Google maybe?).

I don't think we'll see Oracle disposing of MySQL a bargain basement price unless a
regulator demands it (unlikely).

John

John Daisley

MySQL 5.0 Certified Database Administrator (CMDBA)
MySQL 5.0 Certified Developer
Cognos BI Developer

Telephone: +44(0)1283 537111
Mobile: +44(0)7812 451238