List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Bruno B. B. Magalhaes Date:December 17 2009 6:02pm
Subject:Re: Help saving MySQL
View as plain text
Martjin,

I really don't like to point fingers or anything like that, but the simple fact Oracle
owns the MySQL copyrights is by it self very concerning, as all our investments (time and
money) could be lost over night, if Oracles decides to close de source or change it's
licensing policies. Many could say "Oh, they will not do that, because they promised not
to.", as an old professor of mine said:

"What isn't written, does not count! Everything else is here say, and there is no legal or
moral grounds."

As a sailor I saw what Larry Ellisson did with the oldest and most prestigious match race
in the sport of sailing, the America's Cup. He and Ernesto Bertarelli (a swiss
billionaire) are fighting in the New York  Supreme Court for over 3 years for power, and
almost 160 years of history and sportsmanship are being destroyed. Personally, that's not
Ellisson's fault because Bertarelli is the one who is trying to subvert the rules (the
Deed of Gift written in 1852 and that drives the competition until today
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deed_of_Gift), but this shows the kind of mentality that
Ellisson works with: Until the last consequences. More info at:
http://www.yachtingmagazine.com/article.jsp?ID=1000070610

Best Regards,
Bruno B. B. Magalhães

BLACKBEAN CONSULTORIA
Rua Real Grandeza 193, Sala 210, Botafogo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ, 22281-035, Brasil

+55 (21) 9695-2263
+55 (21) 2266-0597
www.blackbean.com.br

Esta mensagem pode conter informação confidencial e/ou privilegiada. Se
você não for o destinatário ou a pessoa autorizada a receber esta
mensagem, não pode usar, copiar ou divulgar as informações nela
contidas ou tomar qualquer ação baseada nessas informações.
Se você recebeu esta mensagem por engano, por favor avise imediatamente o
remetente, respondendo o e-mail e em seguida apague-o. Agradecemos sua
cooperação.

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the
addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have
received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and

On Dec 17, 2009, at 3:33 PM, Martijn Tonies wrote:

> John,
>
> Another read on the subject:
>
> http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2009/12/10/the-case-against-the-case-against-oracle-mysql/
>
> Enjoy.
>
> With regards,
>
> Martijn Tonies
> Upscene Productions
> http://www.upscene.com
>

> I see some of your point Martin but I think the eu would look at that letter and see
> the author is stating 'MySQL has been used as a pricing lever'. That single factor should
> be enough for them to be very concerned by an acquisition as removing an effective pricing
> lever from the market by acquisition is anti-competitive and helps increase or maintain
> high prices.
>
> I don't believe you could use any other open source database as a pricing lever in
> the same way because none are as mature or offer the levels of support that MySQL does and
> no other open source system can boast the performance benefits (especially with
> ndbcluster) or the availability of suitably trained and certified people to support their
> products.

Help saving MySQLMichael Widenius12 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMichael Dykman13 Dec
    • Re: Help saving MySQLRyan Chan13 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLMihamina Rakotomandimby13 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLDouglas Nelson13 Dec
        • RE: Help saving MySQLNeil Aggarwal13 Dec
          • Re: Help saving MySQLMichael Dykman13 Dec
            • Re: Help saving MySQLMihamina Rakotomandimby13 Dec
          • Re: Help saving MySQLTom Worster14 Dec
            • Re: Help saving MySQLMihamina Rakotomandimby15 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
    • Re: Help saving MySQLJigal van Hemert14 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
        • Re: Help saving MySQLJigal van Hemert14 Dec
        • Re: Help saving MySQLTom Worster14 Dec
          • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
            • Re: Help saving MySQLTom Worster14 Dec
              • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
    • RE: Help saving MySQLNeil Aggarwal14 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
RE: Help saving MySQLJohn Daisley 14 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMichael Dykman14 Dec
    • Re: Help saving MySQLFacundo Garat14 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLMichael Widenius15 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLupscope15 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMartijn Tonies16 Dec
RE: Help saving MySQLJohn Daisley 14 Dec
  • RE: Help saving MySQLDaevid Vincent15 Dec
RE: Help saving MySQLJohn \(Burton\) Daisley17 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMartijn Tonies17 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLGene Heskett17 Dec
RE: Help saving MySQLJohn \(Burton\) Daisley17 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMartijn Tonies17 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMartijn Tonies17 Dec
    • Re: Help saving MySQLBruno B. B. Magalhaes17 Dec