List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:December 17 2009 12:34pm
Subject:Re: Help saving MySQL
View as plain text
>I see some of your point Martin but I think the eu would look at that
>letter and see
>the author is stating 'MySQL has been used as a pricing lever'. That single
>factor
>should be enough for them to be very concerned by an acquisition as
>removing an
>effective pricing lever from the market by acquisition is anti-competitive
>and helps
>increase or maintain high prices.

Believe me, the EU (Smit Kroes) ain't exactly stupid... That single factor
only makes
a difference -if there are no alternatives- (eg: other lower prices database
systems),
and yet, there are. So I doubt if that's gonna make a difference.

>I don't believe you could use any other open source database as a pricing
>lever
> in the same way because none are as mature or offer the levels of support
> that
>MySQL does and no other open source system can boast the performance
>benefits (especially with ndbcluster) or the availability of suitably
>trained and
>certified people to support their products.

I beg to differ, heck, I also would like to aadd that some things in MySQL
are
not mature whatsoever compared to other DBMSses, being open source or not.

MySQL is gonna have one big struggle to get things straight after this...

Mind you, it would certainly be easier and probably better for business if
Oracle
didn't get MySQL, I agree with you on that ;-) But it's not about what -we-
think.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Database questions? Check the forum:
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
Help saving MySQLMichael Widenius12 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMichael Dykman13 Dec
    • Re: Help saving MySQLRyan Chan13 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLMihamina Rakotomandimby13 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLDouglas Nelson13 Dec
        • RE: Help saving MySQLNeil Aggarwal13 Dec
          • Re: Help saving MySQLMichael Dykman13 Dec
            • Re: Help saving MySQLMihamina Rakotomandimby13 Dec
          • Re: Help saving MySQLTom Worster14 Dec
            • Re: Help saving MySQLMihamina Rakotomandimby15 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
    • Re: Help saving MySQLJigal van Hemert14 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
        • Re: Help saving MySQLJigal van Hemert14 Dec
        • Re: Help saving MySQLTom Worster14 Dec
          • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
            • Re: Help saving MySQLTom Worster14 Dec
              • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
    • RE: Help saving MySQLNeil Aggarwal14 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
RE: Help saving MySQLJohn Daisley 14 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMichael Dykman14 Dec
    • Re: Help saving MySQLFacundo Garat14 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLMichael Widenius15 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLupscope15 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMartijn Tonies16 Dec
RE: Help saving MySQLJohn Daisley 14 Dec
  • RE: Help saving MySQLDaevid Vincent15 Dec
RE: Help saving MySQLJohn \(Burton\) Daisley17 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMartijn Tonies17 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLGene Heskett17 Dec
RE: Help saving MySQLJohn \(Burton\) Daisley17 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMartijn Tonies17 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMartijn Tonies17 Dec
    • Re: Help saving MySQLBruno B. B. Magalhaes17 Dec