List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John \(Burton\) Daisley Date:December 17 2009 10:53am
Subject:RE: Help saving MySQL
View as plain text

I see some of your point Martin but I think the eu would look at that letter and see the
author is stating 'MySQL has been used as a pricing lever'. That single factor should be
enough for them to be very concerned by an acquisition as removing an effective pricing
lever from the market by acquisition is anti-competitive and helps increase or maintain
high prices.

I don't believe you could use any other open source database as a pricing lever in the
same way because none are as mature or offer the levels of support that MySQL does and no
other open source system can boast the performance benefits (especially with ndbcluster)
or the availability of suitably trained and certified people to support their products.

Regards
John