List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:December 17 2009 9:36am
Subject:Re: Help saving MySQL
View as plain text
>I think that letter actually does MySQL a favour as it points out
>
>'MySQL has been used as a pricing lever by Oracle customers'
>
>That single factor says Oracle should not be allowed to control MySQL as it
>would enable Oracle to  more >easily raise or maintain high prices! For
>something to be an effective 'pricing lever' it has to be a viable
> >alternative. MySQL is a very effective pricing lever on Oracle as it is a
>mature and proven product with >excellent support.

I have to disagree with you there as the letter also mentions that
MySQL isn't a viable alternative, or actually, Oracle shouldn't have
been used for those projects in the first place.

Give a number of other open source database systems, that particular
point (MySQL) to drive the license price for Oracle down, is moot
because you could use any other freely available DBMS (even for
commercial projects!) to do the same.

>> > Please visit
>> > http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2009/12/help-saving-mysql.html
>> > and write a message to EC!

>> Guess you don't want them to write letters like this?
>>
> http://kirkwylie.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-open-letter-to-european-competition.html

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Database questions? Check the forum:
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
Help saving MySQLMichael Widenius12 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMichael Dykman13 Dec
    • Re: Help saving MySQLRyan Chan13 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLMihamina Rakotomandimby13 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLDouglas Nelson13 Dec
        • RE: Help saving MySQLNeil Aggarwal13 Dec
          • Re: Help saving MySQLMichael Dykman13 Dec
            • Re: Help saving MySQLMihamina Rakotomandimby13 Dec
          • Re: Help saving MySQLTom Worster14 Dec
            • Re: Help saving MySQLMihamina Rakotomandimby15 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
    • Re: Help saving MySQLJigal van Hemert14 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
        • Re: Help saving MySQLJigal van Hemert14 Dec
        • Re: Help saving MySQLTom Worster14 Dec
          • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
            • Re: Help saving MySQLTom Worster14 Dec
              • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
    • RE: Help saving MySQLNeil Aggarwal14 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
RE: Help saving MySQLJohn Daisley 14 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMichael Dykman14 Dec
    • Re: Help saving MySQLFacundo Garat14 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLMichael Widenius15 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLupscope15 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMartijn Tonies16 Dec
RE: Help saving MySQLJohn Daisley 14 Dec
  • RE: Help saving MySQLDaevid Vincent15 Dec
RE: Help saving MySQLJohn \(Burton\) Daisley17 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMartijn Tonies17 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLGene Heskett17 Dec
RE: Help saving MySQLJohn \(Burton\) Daisley17 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMartijn Tonies17 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMartijn Tonies17 Dec
    • Re: Help saving MySQLBruno B. B. Magalhaes17 Dec