List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Keith Murphy Date:December 15 2009 3:46pm
Subject:the mystery of the missing mysql.sock file
View as plain text
Take one perfectly functional production server running 5.0.77. It has been
up and running under load for quite some time. I am using xtrabackup for
backups and suddenly three or four days ago backup stop running.

Investigation shows that the socket file '/tmp/mysql.sock' is no longer
there. The mysql server itself is still functioning .. you can specify
--host=localhost instead of --socket=/tmp/mysql.sock so the mysql client
uses tcp/ip instead of the socket file to connect to the server.

   - Permissions did not change on the /tmp directory..I checked.
   - There are no errors in the .err log.
   - No cron jobs clearing out /tmp.
   - SHOW VARIABLES LIKE '%sock%' displays the proper socket location

Any thoughts? I have seen this type of thing occasionally before, but never
taken the time to really investigate. I would just restart the server. I
will end up having to do so in this case, but I would really like to find
out WHY this happened. Is this is bug in the server code? I can't come up
with any other explanation. I would love for this to be explainable!

thanks,

keith

--
Chief Training Officer
Paragon Consulting Services

Thread
the mystery of the missing mysql.sock fileKeith Murphy15 Dec
  • Re: the mystery of the missing mysql.sock fileJohan De Meersman15 Dec
    • Re: the mystery of the missing mysql.sock fileKeith Murphy15 Dec