List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:D. Dante Lorenso Date:December 15 2009 1:32am
Subject:How to not lock anything?
View as plain text
All,

I am using MySQL currently, but am starting to think that maybe I don't
really need to use an RDBMS.  The data I am storing ends up getting
indexed with Sphinx because I have full-text indexes for about 40
million records.

I have an "items" table that is heavily updated with 40 million records
every 1 or 2 days and I need all those items indexed so they can be
searched.  The problem that I'm having is that the table is constantly
locked because an insert or delete is being performed.

I am playing with InnoDB vs MyIsam and have been trying to figure out
how to get the best performance.  I actually don't care about dirty
reads, however, and wouldn't mind if all the 40 mm records could be
read/inserted/updated/deleted without any locking at all.  Are there
known solutions for the kind of storage I am looking for?  Anyone have
any pointers?  Is there a MySQL Storage Engine designed for this kind of
usage, or is there a another server that is commonly used along with
MySQL for this type of thing?

-- Dante

D. Dante Lorenso
dante@stripped