List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Dykman Date:December 13 2009 5:34pm
Subject:Re: Help saving MySQL
View as plain text
I am astonished that this attitude could exist in the open source
world.  MySQL has *always* been open source, since the early days when
it was a handful of us lurking on Monty's mailing list waiting
breathlessly for the next feature to be released so we could release
the projects we had built against them.

I was in the Msql camp when the author of that pioneering product
(Bambi?) retired the project and Monty graciously agreed to absorb the
tool set into MySql.  This involved the stewardship of a few thousand
lines of C..  but this decision allowed 10's of thousands of web
developers to keep building the 5 and dime sites that evolved the
modern web.

The whole bloody point of open source software, and I do mean the
whole bloody point is that *everybody* has access to the core software
they need with no cost beyond that of making the effort to learn to
use it.  Everyone can contribute and those contributions are evaluated
on technical considerations alone.  It is true democracy.  It is a
technological movement which has done as much  to put real power into
the hands of everyday people as 200 years of social movements have
accomplished.

Are we such sheep that we leave this in the hands of the highest bidder?

 - michael dykman

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Neil Aggarwal <neil@stripped> wrote:
> Doug:
>
>> I do not
>> see anyone willing to put up anything to support mysql... you
>> don't like
>> it... put up a billion dollars an take control or shut the heck up!
>
> Assuming MySQL as it stands today is 100% open source,
> I think an easier path is to create a new project from
> the currently existing sources.  Call it something else,
> dbXYZ for instance.  Then, Oracle can do anything it
> wants to MySQL.
>
> I am pretty sure if Michael leads the project, the open
> source community will follow.
>
> Can that be done or did I miss something?
> If that is the case, what can Oracle really do
> to hurt MySQL?
>
> I am not against what Micheal is proposing.  I already
> sent my letter to the EC.  I am asking this for my
> own edification.
>
> Thanks,
>        Neil
>
> --
> Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://UnmeteredVPS.net
> Host your MySQL database on a CentOS VPS for $25/mo
> Unmetered bandwidth = no overage charges, 7 day free trial

 - michael dykman
 - mdykman@stripped

"May you live every day of your life."
    Jonathan Swift

Larry's First Law of Language Redesign: Everyone wants the colon.
Thread
Help saving MySQLMichael Widenius12 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMichael Dykman13 Dec
    • Re: Help saving MySQLRyan Chan13 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLMihamina Rakotomandimby13 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLDouglas Nelson13 Dec
        • RE: Help saving MySQLNeil Aggarwal13 Dec
          • Re: Help saving MySQLMichael Dykman13 Dec
            • Re: Help saving MySQLMihamina Rakotomandimby13 Dec
          • Re: Help saving MySQLTom Worster14 Dec
            • Re: Help saving MySQLMihamina Rakotomandimby15 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
    • Re: Help saving MySQLJigal van Hemert14 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
        • Re: Help saving MySQLJigal van Hemert14 Dec
        • Re: Help saving MySQLTom Worster14 Dec
          • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
            • Re: Help saving MySQLTom Worster14 Dec
              • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
    • RE: Help saving MySQLNeil Aggarwal14 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLClaudio Nanni14 Dec
RE: Help saving MySQLJohn Daisley 14 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMichael Dykman14 Dec
    • Re: Help saving MySQLFacundo Garat14 Dec
      • Re: Help saving MySQLMichael Widenius15 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLupscope15 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMartijn Tonies16 Dec
RE: Help saving MySQLJohn Daisley 14 Dec
  • RE: Help saving MySQLDaevid Vincent15 Dec
RE: Help saving MySQLJohn \(Burton\) Daisley17 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMartijn Tonies17 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLGene Heskett17 Dec
RE: Help saving MySQLJohn \(Burton\) Daisley17 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMartijn Tonies17 Dec
  • Re: Help saving MySQLMartijn Tonies17 Dec
    • Re: Help saving MySQLBruno B. B. Magalhaes17 Dec