List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred Lindberg Date:December 22 1999 6:25pm
Subject:List flooding (was: importSQL script for Access)
View as plain text
The original message was from danny, but all the echo derive from a
ping-pong set up by the sender anonymous@stripped. The
subscription address responsible is
ml.mysql.users@stripped, which appears to be a local
newsgroup gateway.

Thus, danny@stripped is NOT to blame and sent only one copy of
the message.

Relevant headers:

To: mysql@stripped
Newsgroups: ml.mysql.users
Sender: mail2news@stripped

I've added a filter for the sender of the echos and removed the
subscriber from the list. FWIW - the list is set up to throttle mail to
30 msg/h in case something like this happens with mail deferral. If it
happens more often, we can automatically switch the list to moderated
and use a finer granularity (e.g. 15 msg/30 min), but the risk is
always to encroach upon normal list use.

I expect to see an apology shortly.

-Sincerely, Fred

List flooding (was: importSQL script for Access)Fred Lindberg22 Dec