List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ken D'Ambrosio Date:December 11 2009 6:04am
Subject:Re: Are you serious? mySQL 5.0 does NOT have a RENAME DATABASE?
View as plain text
Uhhh... wow.  Unless I'm very, very, very mistaken, I think you're missing
something pretty obvious: I believe you can simply
a) shut down the database
b) mv the directory to a different directory name.

*DONE*  Your database now has a different name.  Boy, that 30 seconds of
hard labor was sure faster than waiting a week for SQL dumps.  Granted, I
can't swear that this is Officially Sanctioned And Approved(tm), but I've
done it many times, myself (and, indeed, just verified it under 5.1 to be
sure it still worked).

Since you are talking such a significant volume of data, I would suggest
either testing, or hearing from someone more knowledgeable than I, but I
think this problem is substantially smaller than you've let yourself
believe.

-Ken

On Thu, December 10, 2009 11:35 pm, Daevid Vincent wrote:
> How can it possibly be that mySQL doesn't allow you to rename a database?
> can't fathom how this can be a difficult task at all to do. Aren't mySQL
> databases stored in a directory of the DB name? And for INNODB, can't you
>  just find the spot in the ibdata file and alter whatever needs to be
> changed? This is absolutely absurd. Not even 5.1 has this most basic of
> features.
>
> We have nearly a billion rows. Exporting to a .sql file and importing
> again can take nearly a week to do (3 days each way and that doesn't even
> begin to touch on the fact the server would be down)! WTF!?
>
> We're running Ubuntu LTS 8.04 w/ Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.51a, for
> debian-linux-gnu (i486) using readline 5.2
>
> Even the manual for 5.1 says this can lose data:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/rename-database.html
> "This statement was added in MySQL 5.1.7 but was found to be dangerous and
>  was removed in MySQL 5.1.23...However, use of this statement could
> result in loss of database contents, which is why it was removed. Do not
> use RENAME DATABASE in earlier versions in which it is present."
>

> Seriously? Please explain why a simple rename of a database is such a
> daunting task to mySQL/Sun that all their brilliant minds can't figure
> this one out?
>
> Why isn't there even a bug report for this?
>

> http://bugs.mysql.com/search.php?search_for=rename+database&boolean=on&st
> at
>
> us[]=Active&severity=&limit=All&order_by=&cmd=display&phpver=&os=0&os_det
> ai
>
> ls=&bug_age=0&tags=&similar=&target=&defect_class=all&workaround_viabilit
> y= all&impact=all&fix_risk=all&fix_effort=all&triageneeded=

> dangerous content by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

Thread
Are you serious? mySQL 5.0 does NOT have a RENAME DATABASE?Daevid Vincent11 Dec
  • Re: Are you serious? mySQL 5.0 does NOT have a RENAME DATABASE?Ken D'Ambrosio11 Dec
    • Re: Are you serious? mySQL 5.0 does NOT have a RENAME DATABASE?Johan De Meersman11 Dec
      • Re: Are you serious? mySQL 5.0 does NOT have a RENAME DATABASE?Ken D'Ambrosio11 Dec
        • Re: Are you serious? mySQL 5.0 does NOT have a RENAME DATABASE?Johan De Meersman11 Dec
          • Re: Are you serious? mySQL 5.0 does NOT have a RENAME DATABASE?Michael Dykman11 Dec
            • RE: Are you serious? mySQL 5.0 does NOT have a RENAME DATABASE?Daevid Vincent11 Dec
              • Re: Are you serious? mySQL 5.0 does NOT have a RENAME DATABASE?Michael Dykman11 Dec
                • Re: Are you serious? mySQL 5.0 does NOT have a RENAME DATABASE?Saravanan11 Dec
                  • RE: Are you serious? mySQL 5.0 does NOT have a RENAME DATABASE?Gavin Towey11 Dec
                    • RE: Are you serious? mySQL 5.0 does NOT have a RENAME DATABASE?Daevid Vincent11 Dec
              • Re: Are you serious? mySQL 5.0 does NOT have a RENAME DATABASE?Johan De Meersman11 Dec
          • Re: Are you serious? mySQL 5.0 does NOT have a RENAME DATABASE?Jim Lyons11 Dec
            • Re: Are you serious? mySQL 5.0 does NOT have a RENAME DATABASE?Michael Dykman11 Dec