List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:December 10 2009 2:57pm
Subject:Re: Here's an Idea for Re-Syncing Master and Slave During Production
Hours without Interrupting Users (Much)
View as plain text
Hi Eric,

>> At least with Maatkit, you get transparency.  We make a concerted
>> effort to update the RISKS section of each tool with each release, so
> there
>> is full disclosure.
>
> Fair enough, but I still found the warnings a little too scary. A more
> complete explanation of the exact nature of the bugs and the exact
> circumstances under which I should be concerned about triggering them
> would have increased my comfort level.

I've made a note to review these, because the ones I checked have kind
of drifted from their original purity.  I updated the RISKS section
for mk-table-sync the other day.  I checked it and agreed with you --
it didn't distinguish between cases where there is actually a risk, or
cases where the tool would just refuse to work (which isn't a risk
IMO).  And it sounded ambiguously scary in a don't-blame-us,
we're-avoiding-your-eyes kind of way because of passive voice.  You
can see my changes here:
http://code.google.com/p/maatkit/source/detail?r=5269  I think that's
a pretty realistic balanced statement of risk: you are playing with a
powerful tool, so learn how to use it first.

Thanks for the feedback!  BTW, there's also a Maatkit mailing list
that I watch closely: http://groups.google.com/group/maatkit-discuss

- Baron
Thread
Here's an Idea for Re-Syncing Master and Slave During Production Hours without Interrupting Users (Much)Eric Robinson4 Dec
  • Re: Here's an Idea for Re-Syncing Master and Slave During ProductionHours without Interrupting Users (Much)Tom Worster4 Dec
RE: Here's an Idea for Re-Syncing Master and Slave During Production Hours without Interrupting Users (Much)Eric Robinson4 Dec
  • Re: Here's an Idea for Re-Syncing Master and Slave During ProductionHours without Interrupting Users (Much)Tom Worster4 Dec
  • RE: Here's an Idea for Re-Syncing Master and Slave DuringProduction Hours without Interrupting Users (Much)Gavin Towey4 Dec
    • Re: Here's an Idea for Re-Syncing Master and Slave During ProductionHours without Interrupting Users (Much)Tom Worster4 Dec
RE: Here's an Idea for Re-Syncing Master and Slave During Production Hours without Interrupting Users (Much)Eric Robinson4 Dec
  • RE: Here's an Idea for Re-Syncing Master and Slave DuringProduction Hours without Interrupting Users (Much)Gavin Towey4 Dec
  • Re: Here's an Idea for Re-Syncing Master and Slave During Production Hours without Interrupting Users (Much)Baron Schwartz8 Dec
RE: Here's an Idea for Re-Syncing Master and Slave During Production Hours without Interrupting Users (Much)Eric Robinson4 Dec
RE: Here's an Idea for Re-Syncing Master and Slave During Production Hours without Interrupting Users (Much)Eric Robinson10 Dec
  • Re: Here's an Idea for Re-Syncing Master and Slave During Production Hours without Interrupting Users (Much)Baron Schwartz10 Dec