List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John Daisley  Date:December 10 2009 9:57am
Subject:RE: Missing Entries
View as plain text

-----Original Message-----
From: Neil Aggarwal <neil@stripped>
Sent: 10 December 2009 01:19
To: mysql@stripped

Carlos:

 > I was checking my fresh install of MySQL and noticed I had empt spaces
 > or missing entries in some sections when I did a search for users on
 > the 'mysql' database.

 According to this page:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql-security-excerpt/5.4/en/default-privileges.ht
 ml
   If you want to prevent clients from connecting as anonymous users
   without a password, you should either assign a password to each
   anonymous account or else remove the accounts.

 We I do a MySQL install, I always go into the mysql client as root
 and issue these commands:
   use mysql;
   delete from user where Password='';
   flush privileges;
   quit;
----------------
Be careful doing this on a fresh install, if you don't set passwords for root first you
will delete all the initial root accounts too!

You really should read the installation section of the manual. Your issue is simple
because the installation has not been secured.
----------------
 It removes those accounts.

         Neil

===================

John Daisley

MySQL 5.0 Certified Database Administrator (CMDBA)
MySQL 5.0 Certified Developer
Cognos BI Developer

Telephone: +44(0)1283 537111
Mobile: +44(0)7812 451238
Email: john.daisley@stripped

Sent via HP IPAQ mobile device

Thread
Missing EntriesCarlos Williams9 Dec
  • RE: Missing EntriesNeil Aggarwal10 Dec
RE: Missing EntriesJohn Daisley 10 Dec
RE: Missing EntriesJohn Daisley 10 Dec
  • RE: Missing EntriesNeil Aggarwal10 Dec
    • Re: Missing EntriesCarlos Williams10 Dec