List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:nitin mehta Date:November 26 2009 10:36am
Subject:Re: question regarding mysql database location
View as plain text
Is mysql the owner of the directories?

----- Original Message ----
From: Manasi Save <manasi.save@stripped>
To: Johan De Meersman <vegivamp@stripped>
Cc: Waynn Lue <waynnlue@stripped>; mysql <mysql@stripped>
Sent: Wed, November 25, 2009 8:12:25 PM

Dear Johan,

Need your help again in understanding How mysql reads symlink.

As you said below, I have created symlinks in default mysql directory.
and try to read that symlink file as a database. But mysql is not reading
that file as Database. Is there any settings which I need to change.

Thanks in advance.

Manasi Save
Artificial Machines Pvt Ltd.

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Manasi Save <
> manasi.save@stripped> wrote:
>
>> Hi Johan,
>>
>> I am Sorry. If I have complicated the senerio But, this still not fix my
>> purpose.
>>
>> What I want is - From your example :-
>>
>> /data/disk1/mysql/db1 (directory)
>>                /db2 (directory)
>>                /db3 (directory)
>>                /db4 (symlink to
/data/disk2/mysql/db4)
>>                /db5 (symlink to
/data/disk2/mysql/db5)
>>                /db6 (symlink to
/data/disk2/mysql/db6)

>> I dont want to create these directories here (/data/disk1/mysql/d4
>> /d5
>> /d6).
>

> They're not directories, they're symlinks, which are (to the OS) a kind of
> file, and thus not limited to 32000 per directory. They behave mostly
> identical to a directory, though, so MySQL will pick them up seamlessly,
> with the one hitch that you'll have to replace "create database"
> statements
> by mkdir and ln calls on the OS level.
>
> This is afaik the only way to do this on the MySQL level. It is impossible
> to specify multiple base directories.
>
> Another possible option, but higher in complexity and most likely less
> performant, would be to run two instances of MySQL on different ports with
> different data directories, and use MySQL Proxy to redirect incoming
> connections based on whatever criterion you could script into it - "use
> database" statements, for example. This is however going to come with it's
> very own set of catches and limitations.
>
> I'm not big on proxy, myself, so I'm afraid if the symlink option is not
> acceptable to you, I can't help you any further.

question regarding mysql database locationManasi Save25 Nov
  • Re: question regarding mysql database locationWaynn Lue25 Nov
    • Re: question regarding mysql database locationManasi Save25 Nov
      • Re: question regarding mysql database locationWaynn Lue25 Nov
        • Re: question regarding mysql database locationManasi Save25 Nov
          • Re: question regarding mysql database locationJohan De Meersman25 Nov
            • Re: question regarding mysql database locationManasi Save25 Nov
              • Re: question regarding mysql database locationJohan De Meersman25 Nov
                • Re: question regarding mysql database locationManasi Save25 Nov
                • Re: question regarding mysql database locationManasi Save25 Nov
                  • Re: question regarding mysql database locationJohan De Meersman25 Nov
                    • Re: question regarding mysql database locationManasi Save27 Nov
                  • Re: question regarding mysql database locationnitin mehta26 Nov
                    • Re: question regarding mysql database locationManasi Save27 Nov
  • Re: question regarding mysql database locationKrishna Chandra Prajapati25 Nov