List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:<Majk.Skoric Date:November 25 2009 11:57am
Subject:AW: Virtual servers, Raid 10 or Raid 01 - your opinions?
View as plain text

Putting the question a bit higher for better understanding.
> What RAID would be the better choice? 10 or 01?

Generally RAID 10 is more robust and fault tolerant. Some things depending on
the controller if it's smart or not. But rebuilding the raid in case of an error
is much faster with RAID10.

If you want to know more read
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/levels/multXY-c.html

Concl.: RAID 10 is a good choice!

> Also I was thinking, to use one RAID 1 for the virtualisation-system
> and
> the other six harddisks for the virtual servers.

It's not fully clear to me what you mean with virtual MySQL-Servers.

You should buy 2 * 73k 15RPM for the OS to have the mysql data separated. If
this is not practical/possible you have to put the os and mysqldata together.
Not nice, but well. Nothing is perfect ;)

2 RAID10 with 4*300GB. ~ 600GB cap. each

mount FIRST_RAID10 /data/mysql_master
mount SECOND_RAID10 /data/mysql_slave

ifconfig bond0:0|eth1:0 virtualip netmask ....
ifconfig bond0:1|eth1:1 virtualip1 netmask ....

/etc/my.cnf

[mysqld101]
bind-address virtualip1
datadir = /data/mysql_master

[mysqld102]
bind-address virtualip2
data-dir = /data/mysql_slave

Is this what you are searching for?

HTH!

Regards
Majk
Thread
Virtual servers, Raid 10 or Raid 01 - your opinions?Götz Reinicke - IT-Koordinator25 Nov
  • Re: Virtual servers, Raid 10 or Raid 01 - your opinions?Krishna Chandra Prajapati25 Nov
  • Re: Virtual servers, Raid 10 or Raid 01 - your opinions?Johan De Meersman25 Nov
  • AW: Virtual servers, Raid 10 or Raid 01 - your opinions?Majk.Skoric25 Nov
    • Re: AW: Virtual servers, Raid 10 or Raid 01 - your opinions?Götz Reinicke - IT-Koordinator25 Nov
      • Re: AW: Virtual servers, Raid 10 or Raid 01 - your opinions?Johan De Meersman25 Nov