List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:November 25 2009 10:02am
Subject:Re: question regarding mysql database location
View as plain text
You don't need to move any databases. Look at this structure:

/data/disk1/mysql/db1 (directory)
                 /db2 (directory)
                 /db3 (directory)
                 /db4 (symlink to /data/disk2/mysql/db4)
                 /db5 (symlink to /data/disk2/mysql/db5)
                 /db6 (symlink to /data/disk2/mysql/db6)
     /disk2/mysql/db4 (directory)
                 /db5 (directory)
                 /db6 (directory)

If your mysql data directory is set to /data/disk1/mysql, the server will
pick up the symlinks there and use them as if they were just ordinary
directories.

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Manasi Save <
manasi.save@stripped> wrote:

> Well Waynn,
>
> In this case I need to move all the existing databases to new location
> right. Which I don't want to do. Is it possible that I create sym link
> between two and use both.
> --
> Thanks and Regards,
> Manasi Save
> Artificial Machines Pvt Ltd.
>
> > On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:53 AM, Manasi Save <
> > manasi.save@stripped> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks Waynn,
> >>
> >> I could not get your point of using symlinks. Because as per my
> >> knowledge
> >> symlink will store same data which is there in original directory.
> >> and What do you mean by "The limit for files is significantly higher
> >> than
> >>
> >> Can you elaborate it more.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>

> > So assuming /var/lib/mysql/data/ is your mysql data directory, you could
> > create a new directory called /var/lib/mysql/data/data1, then move all
> the
> > directories from /var/lib/mysql/data/* into data1.  Then you could create
> > symlink in /var/lib/mysql/data/ pointing to
> /var/lib/mysql/data/data1/<dir
> > name>.  When mysql tries to load the data directory, it follows the
> > symlink
> > to the underlying directory (in /var/lib/mysql/data/data1).

question regarding mysql database locationManasi Save25 Nov
  • Re: question regarding mysql database locationWaynn Lue25 Nov
    • Re: question regarding mysql database locationManasi Save25 Nov
      • Re: question regarding mysql database locationWaynn Lue25 Nov
        • Re: question regarding mysql database locationManasi Save25 Nov
          • Re: question regarding mysql database locationJohan De Meersman25 Nov
            • Re: question regarding mysql database locationManasi Save25 Nov
              • Re: question regarding mysql database locationJohan De Meersman25 Nov
                • Re: question regarding mysql database locationManasi Save25 Nov
                • Re: question regarding mysql database locationManasi Save25 Nov
                  • Re: question regarding mysql database locationJohan De Meersman25 Nov
                    • Re: question regarding mysql database locationManasi Save27 Nov
                  • Re: question regarding mysql database locationnitin mehta26 Nov
                    • Re: question regarding mysql database locationManasi Save27 Nov
  • Re: question regarding mysql database locationKrishna Chandra Prajapati25 Nov