List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Wilson Date:November 16 2009 4:13am
Subject:How to change root password?
View as plain text
I am running MySQL 5 on OS X Snow Leopard...

Have it set up (by installing the pref pane) to always be running as soon as my MacBook
starts.

For some odd reason, I can't remember the password I issued for "root" user and wish to
either change it back to blank or a new specific password.

What should I type from the command line?

When I tried:

mysqladmin -uroot -p

The Bash shell listed out all the possible arguments which the mysqladmin could utilize:

mysqladmin  Ver 8.42 Distrib 5.4.3-beta, for apple-darwin9.5.0 on i386
Copyright 2000-2008 MySQL AB, 2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license

Administration program for the mysqld daemon.
Usage: mysqladmin [OPTIONS] command command....
  -c, --count=#       Number of iterations to make. This works with -i
                      (--sleep) only.
  --debug-check       Check memory and open file usage at exit .
// etc

Would appreciate if someone could help...

-Michael
Thread
How to change root password?Michael Wilson16 Nov
  • Re: How to change root password?Pintér Tibor16 Nov
  • Re: How to change root password?Alexey Mykhailov16 Nov
    • Re: How to change root password?Michael Wilson17 Nov
      • Re: How to change root password?John Daisley17 Nov
Re: How to change root password?Michael Wilson17 Nov