List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Shawn Green Date:November 14 2009 5:14pm
Subject:Re: mysql Create table in system database
View as plain text
Hello Manasi,

Manasi Save wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can anyone give me any input on How mysql create table write data into
> system database and where it has been stored besides information_schema.
>
> Is there any article on mysql System Databases anyone went through as I am
> not able to find it on Google.
>
> I want to write a table information in mysql system database. Can anyone
> help me on this.
>
> Thanks in advance.

MySQL does not store that information within an internal table. The
basic information for each table is stored within a .frm file stored in
the file system. The various additional pieces of metadata for each
storage engine are maintained in methods specific to those storage
engine. The information you see in the many tables exposed through
INFORMATION_SCHEMA is generated dynamically based on the results of
polling those separate sources of metadata at the time of your query.

quoting from http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/information-schema.html
~~
Inside INFORMATION_SCHEMA there are several read-only tables. They are
actually views, not base tables, so there are no files associated with
them.
~~

More details are available in the manual:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/myisam-storage-engine.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/innodb-table-and-index.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/se-db2.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/merge-storage-engine.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/memory-storage-engine.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/federated-description.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/archive-storage-engine.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/csv-storage-engine.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/blackhole-storage-engine.html

--
Shawn Green, MySQL Senior Support Engineer
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Thread
mysql Create table in system databaseManasi Save14 Nov
Re: mysql Create table in system databaseShawn Green14 Nov
  • Re: mysql Create table in system databaseManasi Save16 Nov
    • Re: mysql Create table in system databaseJohan De Meersman16 Nov