List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John Daisley Date:November 11 2009 8:34am
Subject:Re: Oracle, Sun and MySQL
View as plain text
What I am more concerned about at the moment is how much the uncertainty
over the deal is hurting MySQL?

I was recently in a project planning meeting where MySQL was dismissed
completely because nobody could give guarantees about where MySQL was
going. There were a lot of concerns over where future development would
go and a fear that when the deal goes through Oracle may slowly raise
support and training costs to the sort of levels applicable to Oracle
database products. These kind of arguments seem impossible to counter
for as long as the uncertainty continues and I for one wish they would
just resolve the situation either way very quickly because its hurting
my business and open source software!

regards
John

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 23:50 -0600, Peter Brawley wrote:
> European regulators agree with Monty that the Oracle-Sun deal threatens
> database competition. Apparently Oracle means to play hardball. Meanwhile
> Sun revenue fell 25% in 3rd quarter 2009; who else but an anti-competitive
> giant would take a chance on buying Sun now? Story here:
> http://www.economist.com/businessfinance/displayStory.cfm?story_id=14840272&
> source=features_box1.
>
> PB

Thread
Oracle, Sun and MySQLPeter Brawley11 Nov
  • Re: Oracle, Sun and MySQLJohn Daisley11 Nov
    • Re: Oracle, Sun and MySQLXiong HE11 Nov
    • Re: Oracle, Sun and MySQLElizabeth Mattijsen11 Nov
      • Re: Oracle, Sun and MySQLJohn Daisley11 Nov
Re: Oracle, Sun and MySQLPeter Brawley11 Nov