List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tompkins Neil Date:November 5 2009 10:42am
Subject:Re: CONNECTION_ID() and Threads
View as plain text
Thanks for your response.  Is it recommended we disable connection pooling,
so that all connections are instantly closed ?

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Michael Dykman <mdykman@stripped> wrote:

> Again, I'm no Microsoft guru, but it appears that your server
> configuration for ADODB is the culprit.
>
> If 2 simultaneous processes are getting access to the same connection
> at the same time via this call, there is somwething very wrong with
> this service .  Now if 2 distinct processes happening not *quite* at
> the same time are getting the same handle, no problem.  Connection
> pooling is doing it's job.
>
>  - michael dykman
>

> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Tompkins Neil
>  <neil.tompkins@stripped> wrote:
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > We are using standard classic ASP code like :
> >
> > Function OpenConnection()
> >     OpenConnection = "DSN=MyDSN_SSL"
> >   End Function
> >
> >   DSNTemp = OpenConnection()
> >
> >   Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
> >   Set RecordsetTest = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")
> >
> >   response.write Now()   & " connecting... <BR> Connected at : "
> >   Conn.Open DSNTemp
> >   response.write Now()
> >   if Conn.errors.count = 0 then
> >        response.write " - Connection Successful!"
> >    else
> >     response.write " - ERROR: Couldn't connect to database"
> >     end if
> >
> >   RecordsetTest.open "SELECT CONNECTION_ID() As MySQLConnectionID" ,Conn
> > 'query database for data
> >
> >   if not RecordsetTest.eof then
> >    response.write "<br>" &
> RecordsetTest.fields("MySQLConnectionID").value &
> > "<br>"
> >   end if
> >
> >   RecordsetTest.close
> >   set RecordsetTest = nothing
> >
> >   Conn.close
> >   set Conn = nothing
> > But my question regarding the CONNECTION_ID is why we are connecting
> using
> > the same ID from two different computers.  I'm using a MySQL ODBC 5.1
> Driver
> > connection.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Neil
> > On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Michael Dykman <mdykman@stripped>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I am certainly no expert in Windows, but that sounds like the work of
> >> whatever is managing the connections on your application server.
> >> Whatever language you are using, if you opened the connection raw,
> >> what you are describing would be impossible.  You need to look at how
> >> you are acquiring your connection and then have a closer look at
> >> whatever component is managing that..  apparently,  its' doing it
> >> wrong.
> >>

> >>  - michael dykman

> had

> correctly

> <mdykman@stripped>

> statements

> for
> pooling

> based
> on
> ?

> [...]

Thread
CONNECTION_ID() and ThreadsTompkins Neil4 Nov
Re: CONNECTION_ID() and ThreadsTompkins Neil4 Nov
  • Re: CONNECTION_ID() and ThreadsMichael Dykman4 Nov
    • Re: CONNECTION_ID() and ThreadsTompkins Neil4 Nov
Re: CONNECTION_ID() and ThreadsTompkins Neil5 Nov
  • Re: CONNECTION_ID() and ThreadsMichael Dykman6 Nov