List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jay Ess Date:November 4 2009 3:00pm
Subject:Re: Alphabetical search to and from
View as plain text
Dave M G wrote:
> MySQL,
>
> This should be a fairly simple question.
>
> I have a table with a bunch of people's names. I want to find people
> who's name begins within a certain range of characters.
>
> All names between F and P, for example.
>
> What SELECT statement would I use to do that?
>
> Thank you for any advice.

Slow version (no use of index) :
select username from users where left(username,1) between "A" and "B";
Thread
Alphabetical search to and fromDave M G4 Nov
  • Re: Alphabetical search to and fromJay Ess4 Nov
  • RE: Alphabetical search to and frommisiaQ4 Nov
    • Re: Alphabetical search to and fromMichael Dykman4 Nov
      • RE: Alphabetical search to and frommisiaQ4 Nov
        • Re: Alphabetical search to and fromMichael Dykman4 Nov
          • Re: Alphabetical search to and fromJay Ess4 Nov
            • RE: Alphabetical search to and frommisiaQ4 Nov
              • Re: Alphabetical search to and from [SOLVED]Dave M G5 Nov
  • Re: Alphabetical search to and fromSteve Edberg4 Nov