List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Dykman Date:October 29 2009 5:24pm
Subject:Re: Choose certain columns in mysqldump?
View as plain text
mysqldump is not really a data manipulation tool.. as the name
implies, it is a dumper.

What you are trying to accomlish can be done rather elegantly via the
SELECT .. INTO OUTFILE syntax

                    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/select.html

and then loaded into your new structure via LOAD INFILE

                    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/load-data.html

 - michael dykman

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Brian Dunning <brian@stripped> wrote:
> Sorry if this is a n00b question, I did read the docs for mysqldump before
> posting, but couldn't figure it out.
>
> I'm successfully doing a mysqldump, but I want only a few of the columns,
> and want them in a different order. Is this possible without substantially
> slowing it down? The table has about 5 million records.
>
> Currently I'm doing this:
> mysqldump -uxxxt -pxxx -t -T/var/www/folder db_name table_name
> --fields-enclosed-by=\" --fields-terminated-by=,

 - michael dykman
 - mdykman@stripped

"May you live every day of your life."
    Jonathan Swift
Thread
Choose certain columns in mysqldump?Brian Dunning29 Oct
  • Re: Choose certain columns in mysqldump?Michael Dykman29 Oct
    • Re: Choose certain columns in mysqldump?Jaime Crespo Rinc√≥n29 Oct
      • Re: Choose certain columns in mysqldump?walter harms29 Oct
  • Re: Choose certain columns in mysqldump?Brian Dunning4 Nov