List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martin Gainty Date:October 28 2009 12:44pm
Subject:RE: Open Tables
View as plain text
Will

Generally this means you need to look at the schema design of your database system

If you are running a simple contact Database for Mom and Pop store and you have
connections to 100 tables open then you would want to take a more serious look at the
schema you are using to merge information from spurious one off tables..this process is
called de-normalisation..
the effort would be to take the most often requested column of a table and integrate that
columns definition and data into the driver table to reduce the IO and any possible
contention of a join condition

if on the other hand you are running a enterprise portal with 1000 requests/second with
just a few tables
open you would want to normalise the data and separate the columns into other tables so as
to place those columns into discrete tables which would be created/named based on
functionality..associations between tables should always be unique
and may involve concatenated columns the most famous example is OrderLine Item which
consists of
OrderID from Order-Header and OrderLineItemID

i hope this addresses your requirement
Martin Gainty
Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung

Diese Nachricht ist vertraulich. Sollten Sie nicht der vorgesehene Empfaenger sein, so
bitten wir hoeflich um eine Mitteilung. Jede unbefugte Weiterleitung oder Fertigung einer
entfaltet keine rechtliche Bindungswirkung. Aufgrund der leichten Manipulierbarkeit von
E-Mails koennen wir keine Haftung fuer den Inhalt uebernehmen.