List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rodrigo (GE Infra, Aviation) Bermejo Date:October 20 2009 11:09pm
Subject:Low performance due high network latency - batching ?
View as plain text
Hola List /.

We are facing a preformance issue with a desktop application which
connects remotly to a Mysql / DB ( ping times 300-800ms).
We do not have time to invest in modifications to create a 2-tier ...
Web application
The initial plan was to implement a Client cache or a local DB (mysql
slave or XML files).

After reviwing the code and the sql logs I figured out there are a lot
of insert/updates and replaces within loops.
Sometimes there are more than 200 inserts statments coming for a loop.

What I did was to create a long string with all statments separated with
semicolons (batching) and then just send them all in just one statment.
This reduced the major application use case time in 300%

I am planning to write some code that can keep all "modification"
statments in memory until a select is needed <so then send first the
commands in memory and then the select>

Any of you have some experience using this approach /?
Any drawback you can see /?

Thanks for your comments.

-r.

Thread
Low performance due high network latency - batching ?Aviation) GE Infra21 Oct
  • Re: Low performance due high network latency - batching ?Johan De Meersman21 Oct
  • Re: Low performance due high network latency - batching ?Dan Nelson21 Oct