List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Dykman Date:October 19 2009 11:45pm
Subject:Re: Passwords not working
View as plain text
The type of password instability you are talking about is pretty much
unheard of in MySQL.. however, reverse DNS resolution is always
messing up depending on the network setup.   From a console on your
database host, how easily can you resolve the hostnames that your
client is presenting?  What is your network setup?

Not the safest of practices, but for dev accounts, I usually create
one for user@'%' and sometimes one one for user@localhost  if needed
and that works very well for me..

 - michael dykman

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 7:30 PM, John Oliver <joliver@stripped> wrote:
> I have a problem with MySQL passwords... I set them, write them down...
> and they stop working.  I have to go in and manually reset them.
>
> Right now, I have a database that, even after resetting the password, I
> still cannot access it.
>
> /var/log/mysql.log doesn't give me any useful information.  How can I
> get MySQL to tell me what it's unhappy about, or get more information
> from the client other than it just didn't work?
>
> I also have problems with MySQL resolving names, or not resolving names,
> or ???  I usually add 'user'@'ip.address' and 'user'@'host.name'  But,
> more and more often, I've had to put skip-name-resolve in my.cnf, but
> with my current problem, I'm still seeing that 'user'@'host-name' is
> being rejected, even when I use -h ip.address on the command line
>
> And when I add those two users, and go to reset passwords, it doesn't
> want to let me specify 'user'@'ip.address' or 'user'@'host.name' but
> just 'user'  I *think* it's resetting the password for both... the
> hashes are always the same.  But I just don't know.
>
> What am I missing?

> * John Oliver
>         http://www.john-oliver.net/ *
> *
>
>                   *

 - michael dykman
 - mdykman@stripped

"May you live every day of your life."
    Jonathan Swift
Thread
Passwords not workingJohn Oliver20 Oct
  • Re: Passwords not workingMichael Dykman20 Oct
    • Re: Passwords not workingJohn Oliver22 Oct
  • Re: Passwords not workinglistmail20 Oct
    • RE: Passwords not workingMartin Gainty20 Oct