List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:James Dekker Date:October 14 2009 7:06pm
Subject:Unable to Login to MySQL 5
View as plain text
Hello there,

I have been using MySQL 5 on my OS X Leopard based laptop for quite
some time now...

Didn't have a password set and my login was "root" on localhost.

Downloaded just now the Spring distribution was following the steps to
run the petclinic sample application.

Ran the following scripts to set up petclinic:

CREATE DATABASE petclinic;

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON petclinic.* TO root@localhost IDENTIFIED BY
'root';

Now, when I try to login to MySQL using the SequelPro client: http://www.sequelpro.com/

I am unable to login!

This is the error Sequel Pro and also the command line states when I
login as root with no password (which was working before I ran the
petclinic script):

"Unable to connect to host  because access was denied.

Double-check your username and password and ensure that access from
your current location is permitted.

MySQL said: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password:
NO)"

Does anyone know what's wrong? I am not unable to access any of my
local databases!

How can I revert this?

When I tried (from the command line):

mysqladmin -u root password 'newpassword'

I got this message:

mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'

Would really appreciate it if someone could help me resolve this
issue...

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

James
Thread
Unable to Login to MySQL 5James Dekker14 Oct
  • Re: Unable to Login to MySQL 5Claudio Nanni14 Oct
    • Re: Unable to Login to MySQL 5James Dekker14 Oct
      • Re: Unable to Login to MySQL 5James Dekker14 Oct
      • Re: Unable to Login to MySQL 5mos14 Oct
RE: Unable to Login to MySQL 5John Daisley15 Oct