List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:April 21 1999 5:07pm
Subject:Re: [Question] About 2 table in one database
View as plain text
Since MySQL does not have sub-selects yet, you need to do this in
several steps.  Here's one way to do it (might not be the best
way for you, though).  If this doesn't work for you, please let
us know what the table structure is for the two tables.

You can create a temporary table that has the same structure as
your log table, then do:

    INSERT INTO
        temporary_log
    SELECT
        # This depends on what fields you have in the log table, example:
        #   id      other_column       url      some_column
        log.id, log.other_column, ip.newip, log.some_column
    FROM
        log, ip
    WHERE
        log.flag = ip.flag

    Now, you must remove the old entries from the log table and insert
    the new ones.  You can use the REPLACE INTO syntax to do this, as
    long as you have a unique key in the log table:

    REPLACE INTO
        log
    SELECT
        *
    FROM
        temporary_log

Tim

On Wed, Apr 21, 1999 at 04:15:35PM +0900, Yao Feng wrote:
>   I think the manual of mysql is few to satisfy a newbie in sql.I have
> one question in this:
>   One DATABASE data;
>   include two TABLE log and ip;
>   What I want to do is:
>   update (or substitute) the TABLE log 's COLUMN url with TABLE ip 's
> COLUMN newip IF some condition happens(such as both TABLE 's COLUMN flag
> are same).
>
>   Any advices to do it? It confused me for a few days.
Thread
[Question] About 2 table in one databaseYao Feng21 Apr
  • Re: [Question] About 2 table in one databaseThimble Smith21 Apr
  • Re: [Question] About 2 table in one databaseChristian Mack21 Apr